Saturday, October 29, 2011

Even the Apostle Paul struggled with sin

Do you have a certain sin that you just can't seem to shake? I know I have several and it gets frustrating.

When we accept Jesus as Savior, we are new creations in Christ. But why can't we just get rid of the sins that plague us?

In Romans 7, the Apostle Paul discusses the Law and tells us we are not under the Law because of the work of Jesus. However, he says the Law is not sinful (Verse 7) and it serves as a guide for us to identify sin.

Then, in Chapter 14 and on, Paul does a wonderful job explaining his constant battle with sin.



14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
 21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!
   So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature a slave to the law of sin. (NIV)

I don't want to call it "good" company or make an excuse for sin, but we can at least take consolation in the fact sin has always been in the hearts of man and even a man like Paul struggled with it.

Knowing sin is a problem and will be a problem until we meet Jesus, what do we do about it?

  • We need to read the Scriptures and understand God's Word so we recognize our sins. I am suggesting this because I want you to feel guilty. It is important for us to be able to identify our sins and deal with them.
  • Once we recognize our sins, we need to pray that God will help deliver us from our them.
  • We also need human accountability. Find someone you can confide in and ask him or her to help you deal with your sin. Have that person call you daily to ask how you are dealing with your sin.
  • Confess your sin to your pastor and church. It is never easy to admit a struggle, but tell your pastor your struggles will give you a higher level of accountability. If you can go before your church, then you should be able to find support andy prayer for your sin.
Sin is a serious problem and left unchecked will hamper your relationship with Jesus. I know it has hurt me at times.

But, remember, we are all in the same situation and there are fellow believers - and of course, God - there to help you.

6 comments:

  1. I can't believe I lost my comment :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I easily lose my train of thought. It usually leaves me grounded while the train rattles on ahead. :) But I will try to redo this..

    I was mentioning to you that while I understand where you are coming from basically, I have a huge concern about the lack of hope that is being offered from a purely Scriptural standpoint in this blog post. In Ro.7.27 Paul gives us the antithesis to the problem, a direct answer or solution.. it's through Jesus Christ! At the risk of sounding overly simplistic, JESUS is always THE ANSWER to our every need. And the age old battle has always been between the flesh vs walking in The Spirit. We sin because we cave to the temptations of the flesh as opposed to resisting them through the Power of The Holy Spirit. 1 Co.10.13 We all sin and we all know that we sin because we want to (we love it and don't really want to give it up) not because we have to or because it's inherent to our nature. We are now NEW creations in Christ! 2 Co.5.17

    We see the problem as twofold: 1.Most of us have not been properly discipled 2. We don't know the Scriptures as we ought nor the Power of God available to us.

    If we were properly taught from the beginning we would have a much better handle on the way Christ really wants us to live and that's in total victory at all times in every situation. It IS a high calling and it's completely possible!

    Isaiah puts it this way in Is.5.13a "My people are gone into captivity through IGNORANCE (of The Scriptures)."

    Is.61.1 - Christ came to set the captives free and He led captivity captive in Ps.68.18 and Ep.4.8.

    We are told to STAND FAST in the liberty wherewith CHRIST HAS MADE US FREE - Ga.5.1. Liberty and bondage to our sin nature are two directly opposite things!

    Ro.8.21 - We've been delivered FROM the bondage of corruption INTO the glorious liberty of the children of God!

    Ro.8.39 - We are more than conquerors through Christ!

    My concern is that the rationale of the mind always gets in the way of acceptance of the Word of God. We make excuses because we are after all only human or that's what we tell ourselves when we sin. :)

    Just my two cents worth. I just wanted to see this lifted to a higher level of truth according to The Word and not just the human dilemma/experience by the masses. We want to walk the high road here.

    Bless you. Thanks for listening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I don't focus on the positive and I should more because we all should rejoice in the Lord. Good comments and great Scriptures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again Joe, I have a few additional thoughts because this has been rumbling around in my head since last evening. :) Let me say first of all that you did a really good job of pointing people to the accountability of others in the Body of Christ! None of us are islands unto ourselves and we MOST DEFINITELY need each other! I didn't find your blog negative at all.. sin IS a very real problem. I was just trying to bring things around to what The Bible says as our focus because that's always the bottom line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure don't want to sound as though I have all of my ducks in a row spiritually speaking or any other way. Having said that however, I want to be clear that our passion is to walk the "Highway of Holiness" that higher plane that we are ALL called to walk.

    The Bible says that "Whatsoever is not of faith is sin." Ro.14.23 which tells me for instance that my unbelief is an affront to God. Whatsoever covers alot of territory if you really think it through.

    DISOBEDIENCE falls into the 'whatsoever' category and right there is the rub because it's the root of ALL sin.

    Our calling according to Ga.5.16 is to walk in The Spirit so as not to fulfill the lusts of the flesh.
    We are not taught in the beginning of our journey that it's all about Ro.12.1 - Presenting our bodies, souls and spirits a LIVING SACRIFICE unto God which the Bible calls our REASONABLE SERVICE. In order to do that we have to surrender our rights, our will, our way and let God have full control so that v.2 then becomes a reality in our daily walk and we are truly being transformed by the renewing of our minds through first KNOWING, then UNDERSTANDING and following through with APPLICATION to our lives. THAT'S when The Bible says that we can 'PROVE' what is that good, acceptable and perfect will of God! The word 'prove' there means to discern, examine so that we can KNOW what God's will for us is in every situation.

    The problem really is as we see it that MOST of us are relying on our OWN STRENGTH rather than God's Power available to us via His Holy Spirit.

    Coupled along with all of this we also aren't properly taught about the wiles of Satan, how to discern and overcome them and properly exercise our God-Given authority in Christ! But that's a whole other topic that needs its own timeline.

    Much of our learning has come through the school of hard knocks because The Body of Christ has failed to properly disciple others.

    We all recognize that sin does indeed create chaos, wreaks havoc, destruction and death. The big "I" is at the root of it all demanding our own way rather than surrendering to God's.

    SO much more a person could say but I'm blogged out for the moment. :)

    Thanks for making a place for us to be able to share our thoughts. I appreciate it. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. More verses to consider..

    Ro.5.20

    Ro.6.14, 18 in fact Romans 6 in it's entirety.

    The old life is to be reckoned as dead.

    v.9 Knowing = Fact

    v.11 Reckon = Faith

    v.13 Yield = Function

    v.17 - Obedience from the heart is the whole crux of the matter. When we are not willing to fully surrender to God we fall back into sin.


    The Holy Spirit showed me a long time ago that there's a "Yield Right of Way" sign at the foot of The Cross.


    These few words of exhortation are for me first and then to whomever the readership happens to be. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete